Friday, September 17, 2010

2 Chronicles 25&26

2 Chr 25
Amaziah does right in the sight of the Lord. He follows the book of the Law (v4). Amaziah has a kind of turning point where, I think, he begins to understand the greatness of God and little better and even walks by faith in this. He hires a huge Edomite army for 100 talents of silver, but a prophet comes to him and says, "The Lord is not with these people" (v7). He asks Amaziah to not go to battle with them, even though Amaziah would not have much of an army without these Edomites. Amaziah is then worried about the money he gave for the army, but the prophet says simply, "The Lord has much more to give you than this" (v9). So Amaziah does this, and I think begins to understand the God has a cattle on a thousand hills, as the Psalmists says in Psalm 50:10. God owns everything; why would he not freely give to those who are his (Matthew 6:25-34).

However, Amaziah did have his downfall. He actually took the god's of the people, whom the one true God conquered for Amaziah, and started worshiping them. That's crazy to me, but it makes me wonder about the why I sometimes fear death. Hebrews says that Christ has conquered death so that he might set us free from the fear of death (Heb 2:14-15). Just like Amaziah, I find myself at times fearing death even though God has already conquered it. In such ways I am serving an idol, I believe.

Ok... so now it gets a little confusing. Another Joash, from Israel this time, is God's utensil for passing judgment on Amaziah. I know, I know, Joash of Judah died in the last chapter, so i believe this is another Joash because the first is already dead. Amaziah is warned not to come against Joash, but Amaziah does not listen, possibly because his heart is hardened by God (see v20 & Romans 9:18).

2 Chr 26
Now enters Uzziah, who was a pretty amazing guy, but who's story is cut short because of his pride (God hates a proud look, Proverbs 6:17). Uzziah builds the kingdom into this great battle armament, but because of his pride he contracts leprosy in the temple. He lives with this disease until his death.

Lord, I pray that you would show me your greatness like you have shown Amaziah. Thank for the faith that you have given me so far and I pray that I can walk by this faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment