Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Nehemiah 11 & 12

Neh 11
In the first few verses, we find out that the leaders of Israel lived in Jerusalem, and then Israel drew lots to get other people in the city. I am struck that it is not something that everyman desires to live in Jerusalem (of course it has not gained it's significance that it has today), but still it seems to be a holy and important city. I think that the Israelites valued their homes and families over a city and this is why, but that is just a thought. The rest of Israel lived throughout Judah in their inheritance (v20).

There were song leaders and singer appointed to the house of God. Song is important, judging from it's prevalence in scripture and Paul's encouragement in Colossians 3:16 to admonish one another with these songs.

Neh 12
This first part of this chapter is a list of priests who returned and, the next, a list of the heads of the Levites.

The Israelites dedicated the newly built wall in a large ceremony with singing. There is a very specific description of this ceremony, of where people stood and who was involved.

Israel gave portions to the singers.

I'm not sure about all this and what it means, but I do understand this verse in James 3:1 that says teachers will incur a stricter judgment; and if I think about Mark 9:42 and the seriousness of what is taught, I am not quick to expound on these verses unless the spirit gives me light. I pray that you would as well consider the serious judgment that awaits those who teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment