Thursday, October 7, 2010

Nehemiah 3 & 4

Neh 3
There is a lot of construction in this chapter, something I deal with every day. Many gates were constructed and before they were constructed, they were consecrated. There was one group that 'zealously' repaired the gate and section they were working on (v20). All this attention to detail in fortifying Jerusalem makes me consider how I have fortified my heart from outside attack. I am admonished by 1 Corinthians 10:12 to "take heed that I do not fall," to protect myself from temptation. The Psalmist in Chapter 119:11 reminds me that one way of doing this is to store up God's word in my heart. Also Ephesians 6:16 says to take up the shield of faith, which I see, from Romans 10:17, comes from hearing the words of Christ. Also this to say that the need for the fortification of a city, in the time of Nehemiah is apparent. The need to fortify my heart is not so readily seen. We should all remember what Solomon says about this: "He who rules his spirit [is better] than he who captures a city" (Proverbs 16:32).

Neh 4
This scene begins with insults from Israel's enemies. They are making fun of Jerusalem's wall! But Nehemiah prays to God and praises the remnant for the amount of work they have done in so little of a time. The enemies of Israel insulted Jerusalem so much that many of the remnant were worried about attack. Nehemiah encouraged them to consider the greatness of God and his awesome power (v14). We should all remember this when our worries arise (Matthew 6:25-34).

The Israelites were so tuff that they worked with one hand and stood guard with the other hand (v17). They never removed their weapon throughout all of the construction they were doing (v23).

I pray that the Lord's peace would rest on all of you, that we would all better understand what the word says in Matthew 6, that worry is never an option, but that God is in control. I pray also that we would all work as hard as the Israelites in the Lord's service. Praise the Lord who created the earth and moon, stars and sky, the Lord who breathed life into Adam and knits us together in our mother's wombs. He has so graciously given us life and breath and everything else though we deserve death for our sin!

No comments:

Post a Comment